Non-Traumatic Brain Injuries
The brain can also suffer injuries from events that do not involve an external force, but instead inflict damage to brain tissue through swelling, bleeding, infection, or lack of oxygen or blood flow.
What are some common causes of non-traumatic brain injury?
- Cardiac arrest;
- Infectious disease;
- Ingestion of toxic substances (such as lead);
- Inhalation of toxic fumes;
- Deprivation of oxygen to a fetus during birth; and
- Carbon monoxide poisoning.
No matter which form of brain injury a person in McAllen suffers, Dr. Patino has years of accumulated knowledge and experience to draw on to help his clients secure the compensation they need to help them heal from and adapt to their injuries.
What Are The Effects of Traumatic Brain Injuries
Traumatic and non-traumatic brain injuries alike can cause significant disruption in the lives of victims and their families. Many brain injuries make it impossible to work or attend school, and inflict huge, unexpected costs on the victim and their family. Below we summarize some ways a brain injury can take a toll.
A brain injury to a victim in McAllen can have a severe effect on the victim’s ability to think and reason. Cognitive impairments and struggles that can accompany any form of brain injury include loss of memory, difficulty with logical reasoning, loss of the ability to read or understand language, frequent inattention, and an inability to recognize people or places.
A brain injury can disrupt a victim’s ability to engage in both gross and fine motor functions. It can cause weakness, paralysis, loss of balance and dizziness, a lack of coordination and muscle memory, loss of fine motor skills like writing or holding a dining utensil, and a lack of spatial sense or depth perception. A brain injury in McAllen may also leave a victim struggling with spasms and seizures.
Victims of brain injury in McAllen may also face large emotional challenges. Brain damage from a traumatic or non-traumatic brain injury can cause marked personality changes, an inability to control anger or other emotions, the onset of depression, anxiety, or paranoia, and a reduction in a victim’s ability to understand emotions in others or to read non-verbal cues. Sometimes, these impairments leave victims feeling like they have become a different person, which can often compound the emotional toll on them and their loved ones.
There Is Nothing “Mild” About a McAllen Traumatic Injury When it Comes to Impact on Your Life
Doctors typically rank brain injuries in their patients by degrees of severity: severe, moderate, and mild. These rankings serve to help doctors determine a course of treatment for a brain injury soon after it happens. Doctors base the rankings on a patient’s symptoms immediately after suffering the injury, and on what diagnostic images of the patient’s brain reveal.
A “mild” brain injury—also called a concussion when it results from external trauma—is the least severe of the three rankings. However, patients and their loved ones should not make the mistake of thinking that means their injury will have little or no impact on their lives. Even a “mild” brain injury can take a profound toll on a victim’s health, livelihood, and wellbeing by causing cognitive struggles, fatigue, depression, sleep disruption, and a host of other problems.
At Patino Law Firm, Dr. Patino knows that every client’s brain injury is a serious condition that has the potential to take a heavy toll. He fights to make sure victims of brain injuries in McAllen—no matter what level of severity a doctor assigns to them—receive the justice and compensation they deserve.
Seeking Compensation for a Traumatic head Injury in McAllen
The common effects of a brain injury listed above, though numerous, cannot fully capture the significant physical, emotional, and financial toll a brain injury can take on a victim in McAllen. Living with a brain injury is agonizing, unpredictable, and frustrating. Symptoms of the injury can come and go, or may change over time. Recovering from a brain injury often feels like taking two steps forward and one step back, over and over. Holding down a job, going to school, or simply enjoying life may become difficult, if not impossible.
Under Texas law, victims of brain injuries in McAllen may have the right to take legal action, seeking compensation from anyone whose careless, reckless, or intentional actions caused them harm. At the Patino Law Firm, we start each case by focusing on who owes damages to our client and the types of damages our client should recover.
Who Can Be Held Accountable for a Brain Injury in McAllen?
As discussed above, brain injuries can occur in McAllen in a wide variety of scenarios. However, most of the incidents and accidents that inflict a brain injury have a common theme: they result from the poor decisions or dangerous actions of someone other than the brain injury victim.
All Texans have a basic civic duty not to act in ways that put others at an unreasonable risk of harm. Anyone—an individual, a company, an organization, and even a government entity—who breaches that duty, faces legal liability for damages to anyone harmed by their actions.
- Doctors and medical professionals may be legally liable for brain injuries to patients resulting from instances of medical malpractice, such as when a doctor prescribes or administers the wrong medication or fails to diagnose a condition that leads to a stroke.
- Motorists can be subject to legal liability for causing an auto accident that results in a brain injury to a driver or passenger in another vehicle.
- Residential property owners can owe damages to young people who suffer brain injuries in accidents in unlocked, unmonitored backyard swimming pools.
- Commercial property owners may face legal liability if a customer slips, falls, and suffers a brain injury because of an unsafe condition on the owner’s premises.
- Criminals, in addition to facing prosecution, can also owe compensation to their victims, such as when an assault inflicts a brain injury.
These are just a few examples of who may be legally liable to a brain injury victim in McAllen. Speak with Dr. Louis Patino, Attorney at Law today to explore the facts of the incident that led to your or a loved one’s brain injury, and to determine who may have a legal obligation to compensate you for your injuries and losses.
Our McAllen based Attorney can Calculate Damages for Brain Injuries
Dr. Patino works closely with his clients and their families to understand the full scope of harm they have suffered because of a brain injury. Many of them express surprise when they learn just how wide a range of damages they may have the right to recover.
Every case is different, and Dr. Patino can never guarantee that a client will recover compensation, but in general, a victim seeking damages after a McAllen brain injury can often seek compensation for:
- Medical expenses related to a brain injury and any health complications it causes, including emergency care, hospitalization, physical, occupational, and psychological therapy, surgery, medication, and doctor’s visits;
- Other expenses the victim has incurred because of a brain injury, such as the cost of purchasing special equipment or modifying their home to accommodate the impairments caused by the injury, or of hiring someone to help out with day-to-day tasks;
- Lost wages due to missing work after suffering a brain injury, and to an inability to return to work because of disabilities caused by the brain injury;
- Physical pain, emotional suffering, and overall diminished quality of life owing to the toll the brain injury takes on a person’s everyday existence and relationships; and
- In some cases, exemplary damages “awarded as a penalty or by way of punishment” under Texas law when someone’s “fraud, malice, or gross negligence” caused a brain injury.
By spending personalized time with clients and their families, Dr. Patino explores each of these categories of damages to ensure that if and when he takes legal action on their behalf, he seeks the maximum damages allowable in their case under Texas law.
Our Brain Injury Legal Team in McAllen, TX
Dr. Louis Patino’s deep medical and service background brings a unique and valuable perspective to his representation of clients in McAllen who have suffered brain injuries. Unlike so many lawyers, Dr. Patino’s education and life experience help him to understand, and explain to others, exactly what his clients go through in facing the challenge of living with a brain injury.
Dr. Patino also appreciates that the compensation he secures for his clients cannot heal their injuries on its own. That money can, however, provide brain injury victims in McAllen with the support they need as they adapt to new challenges and rebuild their lives.
If you suffered any kind of brain injury in McAllen or the rest of the Rio Grande Valley in an accident that someone else caused, contact the Patino Law Firm online or at (956) 255-0023 for a free case consultation.