What Causes a Spinal Injury in San Antonio?
Spinal cord injuries often result from car accidents. According to the National Spinal Cord Injury Statistical Center, car accidents account for 39.3 percent of spinal cord injuries. Other traumas that cause spinal cord injuries include falls (31.8 percent), acts of violence (13.5 percent), and sports-related injuries (8 percent). In the United States, nearly 300,000 people suffer from spinal cord injuries.
In 2010, 29,585 victims were involved in a crash or injury in San Antonio. In 2018, that number rose to 42,043, and again up to 53,000 in 2019. Spinal cord injuries are more likely to happen when a motor vehicle collides with a bicyclist or pedestrian. Additional risk factors include not wearing a seatbelt and ejection from the vehicle upon impact and car crashes involving vehicle rollovers.
Most traffic accidents happen at intersections. With multiple modes of transportation crossing each other, sudden changes in directions, and the conducting of quick maneuvers, there’s more room for driver error and less forgiveness for or opportunities to correct driver negligence.
Many traffic accidents occur due to negligent or wrongful actions or a failure to act by a motorist, including:
- Speeding: Drivers that fail to follow posted speed limits often increase the risk of accidents. Additionally, faster-moving cars cause greater impacts, resulting in more severe injuries, such as spinal cord injuries.
- Disobeying traffic signs and signals: Drivers and pedestrians have a duty to follow traffic signs and signals intended to control the safe movement of traffic. At intersections, where most traffic accidents occur, stop signs, signal lights, and yield signs, when properly adhered to, help motorists, bicyclists, and pedestrians maneuver without colliding.
- Reckless driving: In San Antonio, reckless driving is defined broadly as “willful or wanton disregard for the safety of persons or property.” Reckless driving includes changing lanes erratically, driving excessively over the speed limit or too fast for weather conditions, road rage, and driving intoxicated.
- Driving under the influence: The legal blood alcohol limit in Texas is 0.08 percent. Additionally, drivers might use drugs, such as marijuana or prescription medications, that also impair their ability to drive safely by affecting or hindering their cognitive state (i.e., their ability to make decisions and react timely).
- Distracted driving: Drivers generally don’t have much time to react to changes in road, weather, or other conditions. Most drivers keep a two- or three-second “safe distance” from the vehicle in front of them, so being distracted for just a few seconds can lead to a car accident. Looking at a text, changing a song, inputting GPS coordinates all seem like quick, inconsequential tasks, but those few seconds are all it takes to find yourself involved in a life-changing traffic accident.
Particularly in San Antonio, the rate of occurrence of car accidents is rapidly growing. In just nine years, from 2010 to 2019, car accidents on certain San Antonio roads, including NW Loop 410 and Hunt Ln., increased by 84 percent and 95 percent, respectively.
The San Antonio Express-News reported on at least 25 dangerous intersections in San Antonio, with the top ten intersections for large numbers of traffic accidents, from most to least, being:
- Loop 1604 and Interstate 10
- Northwest Loop 410 and Interstate 10
- US 281 and Interstate 35
- West Loop 1604 North and Highway 16
- Northeast Loop 410 and Interstate 35
- North Loop 1604 East and Interstate 35
- Alamo Ranch Parkway and Westwood Loop
- Northeast Loop 410 and Walzem Road
- Northwest Loop 410 and Wurzbach Road
- Northwest Loop 410 and San Pedro Avenue
Generally, we find that many traffic accidents in San Antonio happen at intersections crossing Loop 1604 and Loop 410.
If you are suffering from spinal cord injuries due to a car accident in or near San Antonio, then our San Antonio spinal cord injury attorneys can evaluate the viability of your claim and help you recover fair compensation for your damages. Our law firm seeks to put our clients’ best interests first and give you individualized attention and care from the free consultation to case resolution.